Endemic to rappers is the creeping feeling that all is not quite right with the world. And it stands to reason—you’ve got to have some sh*t to figure out, if you’re going to spend hours upon hours pondering life into a microphone. On Don’t Understand, the latest release off his brand new street album, Skewby shares a few things about the music game in particular that he just can’t seem to wrap his head around. Over Freesol member and 2012 SXSW x DJBooth showcase DJ Charlie White‘s blissfully smooth sample work, the New Orleans phenom and freestyle series alum wonders what the world’s come to when a 20-year-old hip-hop head hasn’t heard of 2Pac, and whether he can truly expect to succeed in an era when his genre’s glory days have been all but forgotten. Despite his misgivings, he remains determined to “keep it real [even when] it pays to be faker,” confident that his skills will win him success in the long-term. Does this fresh, thoughtful selection leave you hungry for more? You’re in luck; Skewby’s latest street release, the Humble Pie EP, is available now for free download form the artist’s Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 05/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.