Endemic to rappers is the creeping feeling that all is not quite right with the world. And it stands to reason—you’ve got to have some sh*t to figure out, if you’re going to spend hours upon hours pondering life into a microphone. On Don’t Understand, the latest release off his brand new street album, Skewby shares a few things about the music game in particular that he just can’t seem to wrap his head around. Over Freesol member and 2012 SXSW x DJBooth showcase DJ Charlie White‘s blissfully smooth sample work, the New Orleans phenom and freestyle series alum wonders what the world’s come to when a 20-year-old hip-hop head hasn’t heard of 2Pac, and whether he can truly expect to succeed in an era when his genre’s glory days have been all but forgotten. Despite his misgivings, he remains determined to “keep it real [even when] it pays to be faker,” confident that his skills will win him success in the long-term. Does this fresh, thoughtful selection leave you hungry for more? You’re in luck; Skewby’s latest street release, the Humble Pie EP, is available now for free download form the artist’s Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 05/8/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.