Endemic to rappers is the creeping feeling that all is not quite right with the world. And it stands to reason—you’ve got to have some sh*t to figure out, if you’re going to spend hours upon hours pondering life into a microphone. On Don’t Understand, the latest release off his brand new street album, Skewby shares a few things about the music game in particular that he just can’t seem to wrap his head around. Over Freesol member and 2012 SXSW x DJBooth showcase DJ Charlie White‘s blissfully smooth sample work, the New Orleans phenom and freestyle series alum wonders what the world’s come to when a 20-year-old hip-hop head hasn’t heard of 2Pac, and whether he can truly expect to succeed in an era when his genre’s glory days have been all but forgotten. Despite his misgivings, he remains determined to “keep it real [even when] it pays to be faker,” confident that his skills will win him success in the long-term. Does this fresh, thoughtful selection leave you hungry for more? You’re in luck; Skewby’s latest street release, the Humble Pie EP, is available now for free download form the artist’s Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 05/8/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)