Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Skewby’s “We Almost There” video.
Sometimes when we finally reach the top of that mountain we’ve been climbing we only realize how much further you have to go, how many even larger mountains lay ahead of we. Memphis emcee Skewby knows only too well how long the journey is, both in life and in music, and for all of those climbing alongside him he’s released new single We Almost There. Producer DJ Charlie White (of Freesol fame) smoothly blends classic hip-hop percussion with ambient synths and a haunting vocal sample for There, setting up Skewby with a “Paul to Griffin” lob that Skewby lyrically throws down. Certainly no stranger to openly honest music (see previous feature Ups & Downs), here Skewby takes his personal rhyme style to new heights with some of his best bars yet: “They tell me my time comin like I don’t have eyes / like my mattress don’t collect the sweat that comes from the grind.” Following 2010’s breakthrough project or More or Less, a new EP from Skewby is on the way. No, we don’t know the title or release date yet but trust us, it’s almost here.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.