Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Skewby’s “We Almost There” video.
Sometimes when we finally reach the top of that mountain we’ve been climbing we only realize how much further you have to go, how many even larger mountains lay ahead of we. Memphis emcee Skewby knows only too well how long the journey is, both in life and in music, and for all of those climbing alongside him he’s released new single We Almost There. Producer DJ Charlie White (of Freesol fame) smoothly blends classic hip-hop percussion with ambient synths and a haunting vocal sample for There, setting up Skewby with a “Paul to Griffin” lob that Skewby lyrically throws down. Certainly no stranger to openly honest music (see previous feature Ups & Downs), here Skewby takes his personal rhyme style to new heights with some of his best bars yet: “They tell me my time comin like I don’t have eyes / like my mattress don’t collect the sweat that comes from the grind.” Following 2010’s breakthrough project or More or Less, a new EP from Skewby is on the way. No, we don’t know the title or release date yet but trust us, it’s almost here.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.