Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Skewby’s “We Almost There” video.
Sometimes when we finally reach the top of that mountain we’ve been climbing we only realize how much further you have to go, how many even larger mountains lay ahead of we. Memphis emcee Skewby knows only too well how long the journey is, both in life and in music, and for all of those climbing alongside him he’s released new single We Almost There. Producer DJ Charlie White (of Freesol fame) smoothly blends classic hip-hop percussion with ambient synths and a haunting vocal sample for There, setting up Skewby with a “Paul to Griffin” lob that Skewby lyrically throws down. Certainly no stranger to openly honest music (see previous feature Ups & Downs), here Skewby takes his personal rhyme style to new heights with some of his best bars yet: “They tell me my time comin like I don’t have eyes / like my mattress don’t collect the sweat that comes from the grind.” Following 2010’s breakthrough project or More or Less, a new EP from Skewby is on the way. No, we don’t know the title or release date yet but trust us, it’s almost here.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/26/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.