Often, art inspires more art, and this is the case with the Wu-Tang Clan’s famous song C.R.E.A.M. Legions of rappers have used this phrase and have reached back to the Clan’s track in building their own song. You can now add DMV rapper Sketch to the long list of people who were clearly inspired by the Wu on his new song D.R.E.A.M. - but is it inspiration or biting? The J-Scrilla production sounds nothing like the Wu-Tang track and Sketch delivers flexible rhymes over the simple but haunting beat. Really the only thing that’s borrowed from the Wu’s original track is the chorus, similar to how Chicago’s Scheme used the a phrase from Dead Prez’s Hip-Hop for the chorus of his Same Rebel, New Cause. Ultimately it’s up to the individual listener to decide if it’s a proper homage to the original or if its a straight jack – have at it in the comments section people. D.R.E.A.M. is part of Sketch’s new album, Virginia Tec-9, set to be released September 13 on iTunes through Inner Loop Records.
Written by JC Poppe on 09/8/11
Submit your Rating
Inner Loop Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hi Hata ft. Akshan" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.