Often, art inspires more art, and this is the case with the Wu-Tang Clan’s famous song C.R.E.A.M. Legions of rappers have used this phrase and have reached back to the Clan’s track in building their own song. You can now add DMV rapper Sketch to the long list of people who were clearly inspired by the Wu on his new song D.R.E.A.M. - but is it inspiration or biting? The J-Scrilla production sounds nothing like the Wu-Tang track and Sketch delivers flexible rhymes over the simple but haunting beat. Really the only thing that’s borrowed from the Wu’s original track is the chorus, similar to how Chicago’s Scheme used the a phrase from Dead Prez’s Hip-Hop for the chorus of his Same Rebel, New Cause. Ultimately it’s up to the individual listener to decide if it’s a proper homage to the original or if its a straight jack – have at it in the comments section people. D.R.E.A.M. is part of Sketch’s new album, Virginia Tec-9, set to be released September 13 on iTunes through Inner Loop Records.
Inner Loop Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hi Hata ft. Akshan" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.