Easter is still a month away, but a certain rabbit’s already dropped by the Booth with a surprise for our readers—and you don’t even have to search the backyard to find it. On his latest promo single, beatsmith Peter Cottontale puts his own spin on Gold, a 2013 cut from Interscope-signed trio Sir Sly. Retaining the original jam’s ominous strings, the Chi-Town producer beefs up the record’s rhythm section considerably, incorporating a booming kick, crunchy snares and sizzling hi-hat rolls. A pair of Save Money-affiliated spitters jump aboard to blaze the overhauled beat; Vic Mensa lends his unpredictable flow to the opening verse, and Kami De Chukwu ties the remix together with a breathless closing 16. This rendition of Gold isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans can find the original on Sir Sly’s album of the same name, out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 03/27/14
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)