So, I was on the phone with Mrs. Rocks the other day (Strictly business, of course.), and it turns out Michael’s been acting a little suspiciously of late—sneaking out at all hours of the night, constantly calling and texting unknown individuals on his four mobile phones, turning up with immense wads of cash and luxury goods out of nowhere… Could he, she worried, be dealing? Needless to say, I covered for the Cool Kids emcee, explaining that, to the untrained eye, the musical hustle can be nearly indistinguishable from the coke game—and I pointed as evidence, to Sir Michael Rocks’ new buzz record, Cell Dope. On this ode to low-key ballin’, Tye Hill‘s sparse percussion rhythm and subdued synths sets the stage for characteristically nonchalant bars from the Windy City mainstay. In an unflappably chill, swagger-infused flow, the artist chronicles his daily grind and nightly revelry, not even breaking a sweat when he gets into an nasty auto accident: “Pickin’ up the glass from the Range that I crashed / Coulda been bad—not even a scratch.” Though this joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it should be sure to check out Rocks’ contribution to DJBooth & PUMA‘s Uncontested EP, available here for free download.
Written by richard on 08/21/11
One Off Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bat Phone" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.