If you’re anything like me, you spent quite a few hours of your childhood building thriving virtual metropolises, getting annoyed at their relentlessly demanding residents, and then wiping them off the face of the Earth in the Sim City or one of its numerous sequels. What does that have to do with D.C. emcee SmCity and his Booth debut, you may ask? Well, aside from the name, nothing – it was just an awkward segue. Anyway, on mixtape track Surrender (Win Is in the Bag), the up-and-comer lets listeners know just how sure he is about his prospects for success – and, judging by his aggressively-flowed, polysyllabic rhyme-packed verses, his confidence is more than warranted. DJ MarcNfinit backs the emcee’s lyrical fire with some fittingly high-impact boardwork, pairing vocal/brass samples with booming, cymbal-driven percussion. SmCity’s engaging brand of swagger-drenched underground lyricism is sure to make him a winner in the Booth. Will it be enough to take him to the top of the music game? Readers can get a better idea on Oct. 13, when his The Indie Life mixtape his the ‘net.
Listen to More: SmCity
Written by richard on 10/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thin Air [Premiere]" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.