In contrast to the upbeat vibe of Shontelligence singles T-Shirt and Stuck with Each Other, Shontelle‘s sophomore set is shaping up to be a considerably darker affair. Fresh off the (somewhat delayed) success of cathartic lead single Impossible, the Bajan singer continues in a similar vein on the follow-up, confessing that, though her relationship’s become the Perfect Nightmare, she can’t muster up the courage to walk away. Darkchild mans the boards here, cooking up a pulse-pounding mix of dancefloor-ready synths and moody piano chords as Shontelle expresses her frustration in emotion-drenched verses. As on Impossible, the artist keeps things simple on the lyrical side, painting a somewhat ambiguous picture of love gone sour, but the emphasis on expressiveness over detail only makes the record easier to relate to – could Shontelle have another hit on her hands? We report, you decide, Booth readers. If you’re digging it, you can expect more fresh vocal performances and sizzling beats where this came from on No Gravity scheduled to drop September 21, via SRP/SRC/Universal Motown.
Written by richard on 09/2/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.