Though the Bajan songstress’ sophomore album arrived on store shelves way back in fall of last year, Shontelle‘s not quite finished pushing the set. On the contrary, she’s kept an ace single up her sleeve in the form of breakup ballad Say Hello to Goodbye. To be honest, I’m torn between calling this a crossover bid or simply a departure from Shontelle’s usual – here, the singer leaves behind the urban/R&B trappings of her other work to dive headfirst into pop-rock territory. Backed by beatsmith Martin Hansen‘s midtempo percussion and lightly-fuzzed electric-guitar arpeggios, the singer informs an unfortunate fella that, though her feelings for him remain, he’s put her through too much pain and suffering for their relationship to survive. By way of comfort, Shontelle offers just a wave goodbye and… a Nietzsche paraphrase (“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”)!? Damn, that’s pretty cold. Anyway, does this poignant foray into rock-ballad territory suit Shontelle? As always, Booth readers cast the final vote. Fans who haven’t already copped the album can hear plenty more where this came from on No Gravity, out now via SRP/SRC/Universal Motown.
Written by richard on 05/4/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.