During the eight long years I’ve been a part of the music business I’ve heard DJs receive blame for a countless array of things (bad music selection, terrible mixing, an inability to read the dance floor), many of which stemmed from a serious lack of talent. Today, I heard something new. According to Barbadian beauty Shontelle, whose current single Perfect Nightmare is sitting at #14 on our Top R&B chart, the “DJ Made Me Do It” excuse is now a perfectly usable defense when trying to explain your whereabouts from the night before. Over American Boy-esque production from The Smeezingtons, the Bruno Mars-led trio who crafted Cee-Lo’s enjoyable obscene F**k You single, Shontelle and her SRC labelmate Asher Roth explain why pointing the finger at the DJ Booth is totally rational. While catchy in song form, we at the Booth aren’t quite sure that this justification could actually work in the real life. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes. In the mean time, pick up a copy of Shontelle’s sophomore effort, No Gravity, out Tuesday, November 21.
Written by DJ Z on 09/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.