During the eight long years I’ve been a part of the music business I’ve heard DJs receive blame for a countless array of things (bad music selection, terrible mixing, an inability to read the dance floor), many of which stemmed from a serious lack of talent. Today, I heard something new. According to Barbadian beauty Shontelle, whose current single Perfect Nightmare is sitting at #14 on our Top R&B chart, the “DJ Made Me Do It” excuse is now a perfectly usable defense when trying to explain your whereabouts from the night before. Over American Boy-esque production from The Smeezingtons, the Bruno Mars-led trio who crafted Cee-Lo’s enjoyable obscene F**k You single, Shontelle and her SRC labelmate Asher Roth explain why pointing the finger at the DJ Booth is totally rational. While catchy in song form, we at the Booth aren’t quite sure that this justification could actually work in the real life. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes. In the mean time, pick up a copy of Shontelle’s sophomore effort, No Gravity, out Tuesday, November 21.
Written by DJ Z on 09/20/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.