While nobody’s enjoying the current economic downturn, you have to admit it has a bangin’ soundtrack (Joell Ortiz’ Bout My Money and Cam’ron‘s I Hate My Job come to mind). The latest recession-era anthem comes courtesy of a certain Baltimore soul singer. Struggling to pay her bills in the face of cutbacks at her workplace, Shiré lives in fear that her boss might come along and announce he’ll Lay Me Off. Produced by Triple A, (Don’t) Lay Me Off, in addition to touching on a current hot-button issue, further proves that Shiré isn’t about to let an A&R change her—as previously demonstrated on I Used To Lovher, she’s determined to continue marching to the beat of her own drummer. Her debut album, Pickin’ Up The Pieces, is currently set for a fall ‘09 release (by which time, hopefully, our blasted economy will be on the road to recovery).
Written by Burmy on 03/30/09
Submit your Rating
Family Ties/Hot City Music/SRC/Universal Motown
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Deserve Me" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.