Those who went looking for Shawnna on Luda‘s recently-released Battle of the Sexes LP were destined for disappointment; as it turns out, the former Disturbing the Peace signee’s sneaked off to join T-Pain & co. on the Auto-Tune maven’s own Nappy Boy Entertainment. Appropriately, the Chi-town native is making her return to our pages with a potential single entitled Hide and Seek, which finds her getting to know a few of her new labelmates over an R&B-informed, synth-laden beat by Bishop Jones. While the hook gets a quintuple-dose of soul from Windy City four-piece One Chance and What It Is trio Sophia Fresh, it’s the headliner who steals the show, lacing the track with her signature combo of lyrical freakiness and unpredictable flows. So, Booth readers, is this track a promising beginning to the latest chapter in the femcee’s career? If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more from Shawnna and the rest of the Nappy Boy roster on the new T-Pain Presents: Nappy Boy All Stars Vol. 1 compilation mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Backseat Action ft. Shawnna" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.