Here’s an assignment for all you Booth-heads: name your five favorite female rappers. Chances are, nine out of 10 lists will include Shawnna. As one of the few femcees known to match (or exceed) her male collaborators’ skills on the mic, it’s undeniable that this Shorty Got Work. On this new street single, Shawnna works her wiles on two fellow Windy City natives. Twista‘s high-RPM verse, singer Teddie Cain Jr.‘s smooth R&B hook, and B-Crucial‘s boardwork, complete with his trademark 312 hi-hat, add up to a cut with potential to become Chi-town’s late spring/early summer anthem! If you liked the Work Shawnna put in on this record, you’ll be happy to hear that she’s got big plans for the remainder of ‘09; she and Luda plan to drop their Battle of the Sexes album this summer, and fans can look forward to her third solo LP later this year.
Written by Burmy on 04/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Backseat Action ft. Shawnna" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.