It’s unfortunate, but true: Being Cool Doesn’t Pay the Bills, and that means even the hippest among us (myself included, of course) have to work to get by. On his solo Booth debut, Los Angeles up-and-comer Shawn Jackson (previously heard contributing guest bars to Buff1‘s The Best Are Full of Love), plays financial guru, giving aspiring paper-stackers some insight into his Money Mentality. Florida beatsmith Numonics’ string-driven soul sample sets a sunny mood as Jackson reflects on the interplay between race, power and wealth in America, delivering his economic ponderings in a unique, bouncy flow. He sums it all up with a few timeless words from my favorite track off Illmatic: “Realizing the realism of life and actuality / f*ck who’s the baddest, a person’s status depends on salary” If you’re digging this cash-centric cut, keep it locked; Numonics’ new, IM King/DJBooth.net-sponsored mixtape, featuring Money Mindstate as well as previously-leaked tracks On the Comedown (w/ Dre Biggity), Time Is Now (w/ Co$$) and Departure Time (w/ Sene), is set to hit our front page later this month.
Listen to More: Shawn Jackson
Written by richard on 03/3/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Best Are Full of Love" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.