Heraclitus of Ephesus once said, “A man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play,” and the best, most creative rappers exist as living proof of that statement’s veracity. Oh, what’s that? I’m writing a track review, not a high-school English essay? My mistake. On the real, though, my dead Greek homey’s words couldn’t be more applicable to Inglewood emcee Shawn Chrystopher, who celebrates music’s power to make him feel just Like a Kid Again on his latest single (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!). Over Cameron Wallace‘s carefree, piano-led beat, the artist reminisces about the good times he had as a shorty, but acknowledges that his adult life is even more dope: “I used to ride bikes, now I ride trucks / They used to drive by, now they ride with us / All dime pieces, all of them legit / I don’t have to lie; my life’s the f*ckin’ sh*t!” If Like a Kid puts a smile on your face (and I can’t see how it wouldn’t) you can download your own copy from iTunes this Tuesday, February 16. Watch for Chrystopher’s latest EP, The Audition, to hit stores and online retailers March 23.
Written by richard on 02/14/10
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.