Heraclitus of Ephesus once said, “A man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play,” and the best, most creative rappers exist as living proof of that statement’s veracity. Oh, what’s that? I’m writing a track review, not a high-school English essay? My mistake. On the real, though, my dead Greek homey’s words couldn’t be more applicable to Inglewood emcee Shawn Chrystopher, who celebrates music’s power to make him feel just Like a Kid Again on his latest single (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!). Over Cameron Wallace‘s carefree, piano-led beat, the artist reminisces about the good times he had as a shorty, but acknowledges that his adult life is even more dope: “I used to ride bikes, now I ride trucks / They used to drive by, now they ride with us / All dime pieces, all of them legit / I don’t have to lie; my life’s the f*ckin’ sh*t!” If Like a Kid puts a smile on your face (and I can’t see how it wouldn’t) you can download your own copy from iTunes this Tuesday, February 16. Watch for Chrystopher’s latest EP, The Audition, to hit stores and online retailers March 23.
Written by richard on 02/14/10
Submit your Rating
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.