Heraclitus of Ephesus once said, “A man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play,” and the best, most creative rappers exist as living proof of that statement’s veracity. Oh, what’s that? I’m writing a track review, not a high-school English essay? My mistake. On the real, though, my dead Greek homey’s words couldn’t be more applicable to Inglewood emcee Shawn Chrystopher, who celebrates music’s power to make him feel just Like a Kid Again on his latest single (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!). Over Cameron Wallace‘s carefree, piano-led beat, the artist reminisces about the good times he had as a shorty, but acknowledges that his adult life is even more dope: “I used to ride bikes, now I ride trucks / They used to drive by, now they ride with us / All dime pieces, all of them legit / I don’t have to lie; my life’s the f*ckin’ sh*t!” If Like a Kid puts a smile on your face (and I can’t see how it wouldn’t) you can download your own copy from iTunes this Tuesday, February 16. Watch for Chrystopher’s latest EP, The Audition, to hit stores and online retailers March 23.
Written by richard on 02/14/10
Submit your Rating
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.