Fresh off the release of Booth-premiered, reader-acclaimed leak Like a Kid Again, house favorite Shawn Chrystopher is back to remind fans and haters alike that, at the end of the day, he’s simply looking out for numero uno – in his own words: “I did this sh*t for me, and you Can’t Take That From Me.” Be that as it may, the Inglewood native comes with rhymes that just about anyone should be able to appreciate, especially those who enjoy playing spot-the-allusion – Home Alone, Gullah Gullah Island, I Love Lucy and The Matrix are just a few of the many pop-cultural touchstones Chrystopher references over Cameron Wallace‘s sparse, simmering synth instrumental. Not to mention, he drops the line “I won’t stop like a sentence with three commas,” which, as a guy who rarely writes a sentence with fewer than three commas, I found sort of hilarious. Anyway, it’s crystal clear that Shawn Chrystopher’s self-interest is listeners’ gain. For more evidence, check out the rising star’s latest EP, The Audition, when it hits the ‘net March 23.
Written by richard on 02/25/10
Submit your Rating
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.