Sometimes, for an artist, it can be hard to tell if a new record is dope or not, since the Yes-men in their corner won’t tell them the honest truth (“Ya sh*t stinks, keep it movin!). It isn’t difficult, however, when Timbaland gives you his seal of approval and offers to executive produce your album. OnBYD, a single off the forthcoming full-length, Booth regular Shawn Chrystopher strikes just the right balance between creating something that hip-hop heads will enjoy equally as much as someone who favors a more mainstream sound. The radio-friendly appeal of the record comes from the synth-heavy, energetic production work from Cameron Wallace (and Chrystopher) and the pure hip-hop charm stems from the rapid, leanin’ flow and quirky bars from both Chrystopher and his good buddy, Buddy. If BYD struck a chord with you (its so damn catchy, how could it not??) then be sure to keep an eye open for The Lovestory LP, Shawn’s formal debut due out this summer.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/7/13
Submit your Rating
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)