Sometimes, for an artist, it can be hard to tell if a new record is dope or not, since the Yes-men in their corner won’t tell them the honest truth (“Ya sh*t stinks, keep it movin!). It isn’t difficult, however, when Timbaland gives you his seal of approval and offers to executive produce your album. OnBYD, a single off the forthcoming full-length, Booth regular Shawn Chrystopher strikes just the right balance between creating something that hip-hop heads will enjoy equally as much as someone who favors a more mainstream sound. The radio-friendly appeal of the record comes from the synth-heavy, energetic production work from Cameron Wallace (and Chrystopher) and the pure hip-hop charm stems from the rapid, leanin’ flow and quirky bars from both Chrystopher and his good buddy, Buddy. If BYD struck a chord with you (its so damn catchy, how could it not??) then be sure to keep an eye open for The Lovestory LP, Shawn’s formal debut due out this summer.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/7/13
Submit your Rating
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.