Sometimes, for an artist, it can be hard to tell if a new record is dope or not, since the Yes-men in their corner won’t tell them the honest truth (“Ya sh*t stinks, keep it movin!). It isn’t difficult, however, when Timbaland gives you his seal of approval and offers to executive produce your album. OnBYD, a single off the forthcoming full-length, Booth regular Shawn Chrystopher strikes just the right balance between creating something that hip-hop heads will enjoy equally as much as someone who favors a more mainstream sound. The radio-friendly appeal of the record comes from the synth-heavy, energetic production work from Cameron Wallace (and Chrystopher) and the pure hip-hop charm stems from the rapid, leanin’ flow and quirky bars from both Chrystopher and his good buddy, Buddy. If BYD struck a chord with you (its so damn catchy, how could it not??) then be sure to keep an eye open for The Lovestory LP, Shawn’s formal debut due out this summer.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/7/13
Submit your Rating
Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.