For most rappers, flight is something to strive toward, a metaphor for success and the fast life they have long dreamed of achieving. On his latest single, Shaun Boothe turns that trope upside-down – literally. Let Me Go finds the T-dot native (and exclusive freestyle series alum) so faded that, if nothing were tethering him to Earth, he could easily tumble up into the great beyond like a helium balloon. Beatsmith Nineteen85‘s mellow, melodic instrumental, sampled from Swedish indie singer Lykke Li‘s Tonight, serves as backdrop for some uniquely bittersweet meditations on the subject of self-medication. While Boothe acknowledges that he’s using weed and liquor to momentarily escape from the daily grind, he clearly considers the vacation well-deserved: “They say you’re so much smarter sober, but so what? I got my whole life to grow up / And if it takes the edge off, I don’t mind being less sharp, sometimes that’s the best part.” Moderation in everything, especially moderation, right? Fans can keep it locked for the latest on Boothe’s Hip Hop in 3D LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/13/10
Submit your Rating
Hip Hop in 3D
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music Man ft. Amanda Diva" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.