For most rappers, flight is something to strive toward, a metaphor for success and the fast life they have long dreamed of achieving. On his latest single, Shaun Boothe turns that trope upside-down – literally. Let Me Go finds the T-dot native (and exclusive freestyle series alum) so faded that, if nothing were tethering him to Earth, he could easily tumble up into the great beyond like a helium balloon. Beatsmith Nineteen85‘s mellow, melodic instrumental, sampled from Swedish indie singer Lykke Li‘s Tonight, serves as backdrop for some uniquely bittersweet meditations on the subject of self-medication. While Boothe acknowledges that he’s using weed and liquor to momentarily escape from the daily grind, he clearly considers the vacation well-deserved: “They say you’re so much smarter sober, but so what? I got my whole life to grow up / And if it takes the edge off, I don’t mind being less sharp, sometimes that’s the best part.” Moderation in everything, especially moderation, right? Fans can keep it locked for the latest on Boothe’s Hip Hop in 3D LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Listen to More: Shaun Boothe
Written by richard on 06/13/10
Hip Hop in 3D
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music Man ft. Amanda Diva" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)