For most rappers, flight is something to strive toward, a metaphor for success and the fast life they have long dreamed of achieving. On his latest single, Shaun Boothe turns that trope upside-down – literally. Let Me Go finds the T-dot native (and exclusive freestyle series alum) so faded that, if nothing were tethering him to Earth, he could easily tumble up into the great beyond like a helium balloon. Beatsmith Nineteen85‘s mellow, melodic instrumental, sampled from Swedish indie singer Lykke Li‘s Tonight, serves as backdrop for some uniquely bittersweet meditations on the subject of self-medication. While Boothe acknowledges that he’s using weed and liquor to momentarily escape from the daily grind, he clearly considers the vacation well-deserved: “They say you’re so much smarter sober, but so what? I got my whole life to grow up / And if it takes the edge off, I don’t mind being less sharp, sometimes that’s the best part.” Moderation in everything, especially moderation, right? Fans can keep it locked for the latest on Boothe’s Hip Hop in 3D LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/13/10
Submit your Rating
Hip Hop in 3D
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music Man ft. Amanda Diva" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.