Since I have no clue how to begin this track review, I’ll let you all in on a little trade secret: when writers bring up the topic of writer’s block in their work, they’re never just being clever. It’s basically the authorial equivalent of a Hail Mary pass, done only after you’ve been staring at a blank sheet for several unproductive hours. The latest mixtape single from Shaun Boothe was clearly conceived in a moment of genuine desperation, but the Toronto native’s frustration is our gain – for a track about the experience of being uninspired, this is pretty damned inspired. Here, Boothe spins his own silky-smooth, soul-sampled boardwork into a meditation on the creative process, brainstorming potential song Concepts with the help of guest emcee Talib Kweli. The result is a catchy, easily-relatable cut laced with spot-on satire of rap clichés: “Let’s do a song called ‘Titties & Rims’/ Nah, I got it: ‘Rims & Titties’/ Trust me, that sh*t’ll win..” If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more clever rhymes and dope concepts on Boothe’s Hip-Hop in 3D mixtape, due out in winter 2010.
Written by richard on 01/4/10
Submit your Rating
Hip Hop in 3D
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music Man ft. Amanda Diva" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.