Since I have no clue how to begin this track review, I’ll let you all in on a little trade secret: when writers bring up the topic of writer’s block in their work, they’re never just being clever. It’s basically the authorial equivalent of a Hail Mary pass, done only after you’ve been staring at a blank sheet for several unproductive hours. The latest mixtape single from Shaun Boothe was clearly conceived in a moment of genuine desperation, but the Toronto native’s frustration is our gain – for a track about the experience of being uninspired, this is pretty damned inspired. Here, Boothe spins his own silky-smooth, soul-sampled boardwork into a meditation on the creative process, brainstorming potential song Concepts with the help of guest emcee Talib Kweli. The result is a catchy, easily-relatable cut laced with spot-on satire of rap clichés: “Let’s do a song called ‘Titties & Rims’/ Nah, I got it: ‘Rims & Titties’/ Trust me, that sh*t’ll win..” If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more clever rhymes and dope concepts on Boothe’s Hip-Hop in 3D mixtape, due out in winter 2010.
Hip Hop in 3D
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music Man ft. Amanda Diva" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.