Since I have no clue how to begin this track review, I’ll let you all in on a little trade secret: when writers bring up the topic of writer’s block in their work, they’re never just being clever. It’s basically the authorial equivalent of a Hail Mary pass, done only after you’ve been staring at a blank sheet for several unproductive hours. The latest mixtape single from Shaun Boothe was clearly conceived in a moment of genuine desperation, but the Toronto native’s frustration is our gain – for a track about the experience of being uninspired, this is pretty damned inspired. Here, Boothe spins his own silky-smooth, soul-sampled boardwork into a meditation on the creative process, brainstorming potential song Concepts with the help of guest emcee Talib Kweli. The result is a catchy, easily-relatable cut laced with spot-on satire of rap clichés: “Let’s do a song called ‘Titties & Rims’/ Nah, I got it: ‘Rims & Titties’/ Trust me, that sh*t’ll win..” If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more clever rhymes and dope concepts on Boothe’s Hip-Hop in 3D mixtape, due out in winter 2010.
Written by richard on 01/4/10
Submit your Rating
Hip Hop in 3D
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music Man ft. Amanda Diva" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.