In the hypersexualized world of pop and R&B, it’s nice to hear a singer like Young Money up-and-comer Shanell addressing life’s more mundane frustrations: y’know, like when you’re getting dressed, and you have a stubborn button that just won’t stay fastened. Wait… never mind, I see where this is going. If you haven’t guessed, My Button is actually an unusual take on the all-too-common theme of female sexual disappointment. Hit-Boy‘s innocently catchy synth/piano production serves as the canvas for a veritable bucket-load of innuendo. Addressing a crucial part of the female anatomy, the artist encourages it to make the best of of an underwhelming sexual encounter; and, when it’s clear that satisfaction isn’t in the cards, she urges it to sit tight till the man in question is out the door, at which point they’ll enjoy a little alone time. The cheerily risque result sounds a little like something you might hear in an X-rated Disney musical – I’ll leave it to y’all to decide whether that’s good or bad. If this joint succeeded in pushing your buttons (no, not in that way), you’ll want to keep it locked for details on Shanell’s debut set, whose title and release date are currently unknown.
Written by richard on 04/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Other Side" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.