In the hypersexualized world of pop and R&B, it’s nice to hear a singer like Young Money up-and-comer Shanell addressing life’s more mundane frustrations: y’know, like when you’re getting dressed, and you have a stubborn button that just won’t stay fastened. Wait… never mind, I see where this is going. If you haven’t guessed, My Button is actually an unusual take on the all-too-common theme of female sexual disappointment. Hit-Boy‘s innocently catchy synth/piano production serves as the canvas for a veritable bucket-load of innuendo. Addressing a crucial part of the female anatomy, the artist encourages it to make the best of of an underwhelming sexual encounter; and, when it’s clear that satisfaction isn’t in the cards, she urges it to sit tight till the man in question is out the door, at which point they’ll enjoy a little alone time. The cheerily risque result sounds a little like something you might hear in an X-rated Disney musical – I’ll leave it to y’all to decide whether that’s good or bad. If this joint succeeded in pushing your buttons (no, not in that way), you’ll want to keep it locked for details on Shanell’s debut set, whose title and release date are currently unknown.
Listen to More: Shanell Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Other Side" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.