Though you wouldn’t know it from the Booth fave’s usual positivity and drive to succeed, Shane Eli is well-acquainted with the self-perpetuating feelings of loneliness and desperation that take hold of individuals suffering from depression. Armed with that knowledge, the Los Angeles resident reaches out to those feeling hopeless on When No One Cares, a standout cut off his acclaimed sophomore set. As usual, Eli handles production as well as mic duties and, also as usual, the freestyle series alum looks outside the box for beat material; in this case, he delivers one of (if not the) first Junior Boys samplings in hip-hop history, flipping the UK electronic duo’s record of the same title into an understated synth backdrop for his rhymes. On the lyrical tip, Eli keeps it stark and true to life, employing vivid imagery and plenty of haunting detail as he chronicles the last night in the life of a depressed teen. Sure to strike a chord with anyone who’s been there, When No One Cares is just one of many diverse, high-caliber selections to be found on the artist’s I Can Do Better LP, released in April and available here for streaming and download. Watch for Better Beats, the set’s expanded instrumental version, to drop later this month.
Written by richard on 06/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grey Area" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.