No, Shane Eli‘s latest feature isn’t a(nother) N*ggas in Paris freestyle. On the contrary, new promo single That Sh*t Cray finds the Los Angeles fave taking loose inspiration from The Throne‘s mega-hit as he describes the “cray” sh*t in his own life. This time around, the rapper/producer enlists outside help behind the boards: Eric Belz puts a street-ready spin on Hit Boy, Kanye and co.‘s instrumental formula, supplementing a syncopated synth-percussion groove reminiscent of the original with grimier aural textures as Eli teaches us a lesson in balling on a budget. (Paris’ famous fish filet is transformed, hilariously, into a McDonald’s Filet-o-Fish.) As for how the artist’s going to pay for that multi-million dollar sports car he totaled (“Pulled up in a Bugatti, then I got so drunk I wrecked it.”) in between consequence-free flings and Klonopin-enhanced Benihana binges, I have no f*cking clue—perhaps a Kickstarter campaign is in order? In any case, I think Booth readers will agree that this record is, in fact, “cray.” Though the cut isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it will undoubtedly find more to like on Eli’s most recent, Booth-sponsored projects, The Flip and I Can Do Better.
Written by richard on 03/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grey Area" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)