No, Shane Eli‘s latest feature isn’t a(nother) N*ggas in Paris freestyle. On the contrary, new promo single That Sh*t Cray finds the Los Angeles fave taking loose inspiration from The Throne‘s mega-hit as he describes the “cray” sh*t in his own life. This time around, the rapper/producer enlists outside help behind the boards: Eric Belz puts a street-ready spin on Hit Boy, Kanye and co.‘s instrumental formula, supplementing a syncopated synth-percussion groove reminiscent of the original with grimier aural textures as Eli teaches us a lesson in balling on a budget. (Paris’ famous fish filet is transformed, hilariously, into a McDonald’s Filet-o-Fish.) As for how the artist’s going to pay for that multi-million dollar sports car he totaled (“Pulled up in a Bugatti, then I got so drunk I wrecked it.”) in between consequence-free flings and Klonopin-enhanced Benihana binges, I have no f*cking clue—perhaps a Kickstarter campaign is in order? In any case, I think Booth readers will agree that this record is, in fact, “cray.” Though the cut isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it will undoubtedly find more to like on Eli’s most recent, Booth-sponsored projects, The Flip and I Can Do Better.
Written by richard on 03/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grey Area" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.