No, Shane Eli‘s latest feature isn’t a(nother) N*ggas in Paris freestyle. On the contrary, new promo single That Sh*t Cray finds the Los Angeles fave taking loose inspiration from The Throne‘s mega-hit as he describes the “cray” sh*t in his own life. This time around, the rapper/producer enlists outside help behind the boards: Eric Belz puts a street-ready spin on Hit Boy, Kanye and co.‘s instrumental formula, supplementing a syncopated synth-percussion groove reminiscent of the original with grimier aural textures as Eli teaches us a lesson in balling on a budget. (Paris’ famous fish filet is transformed, hilariously, into a McDonald’s Filet-o-Fish.) As for how the artist’s going to pay for that multi-million dollar sports car he totaled (“Pulled up in a Bugatti, then I got so drunk I wrecked it.”) in between consequence-free flings and Klonopin-enhanced Benihana binges, I have no f*cking clue—perhaps a Kickstarter campaign is in order? In any case, I think Booth readers will agree that this record is, in fact, “cray.” Though the cut isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it will undoubtedly find more to like on Eli’s most recent, Booth-sponsored projects, The Flip and I Can Do Better.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grey Area" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.