Good things may not always come to those who wait – if the damn thing wasn’t on track for release (knock on wood), I’d make a Detox joke here – but Booth favorite Shane Eli isn’t about to leave his loyal fans high and dry. Though his sophomore full-length has been pushed back, the freestyle series alum (and recent DJBoothTV interviewee) is back with a little something to tide listeners over till its imminent arrival. Making its world premiere in the Booth, Let’s Ride finds the multi-talented Cali repper deploying a sample that discerning ears may recognize from Dee-1‘s Jay, 50 and Weezy (though Eli personally assured me that he flipped it first). A funky loop drawn from Marlena Shaw’s Where Can I Go sets the mood for braggadociously freaky bars from the headliner and two ATL-based collaborators; Playboy Tre details some auto-erotic activity (and drops an eminently appropriate UGK reference) on the middle, and White Jesus emcee Rittz brings the joint to a strong finish with some characteristically blistering staccato flows. Eli’s Booth-sponsored I Can Do Better LP has yet to receive a drop date, but don’t touch that dial – fans can expect that to change very soon.
Written by richard on 04/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grey Area" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.