What’s wrong with the rap game? Is it Auto-Tune that’s to blame? A lack of true lyricism? Tight jeans? All of the above? According to Sha Stimuli, the Brooklyn buzzmaker who earned reader acclaim for Booth-exclusive freestyle Balboa, all these issues stem from one larger problem: a lockstep, conformist mentality that’s turned hip-hop into an endless game of Follow the Leader. Leaked to the net last month, the newly-selected lead single off Sha’s forthcoming LP finds the emcee giving his take on the state of the genre—over beatsmith Siege‘s hard-hitting percussion and choral backing vocals, the emcee vents his spleen at that infamous studio plugin (he was against Auto-Tune way before Jay pronounced it dead), the hip-hopsters currently enjoying blog buzz, and the meaningless stunting that oftentimes masquerades for lyricism. These gripes may not be new ones, but the combination of well-crafted rhymes and heartfelt, almost pained delivery makes this an easy sell for lyrical heads. For more real, left-lane hip-hop, pick up a copy of My Soul to Keep when it hits stores October 29th.
Written by richard on 07/29/09
Submit your Rating
Coast 2 Coast
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.