Booth newcomer Se’von‘s MySpace bio may compare the Motown-born, Atlanta-based up-and-comer to Jon Bon Jovi and Journey, but heads shouldn’t let that scare them off; rest assured, potential single Pain features neither freaky Steve Perry falsetto nor Rebirth-esque hard-rock posturing. In fact, aside from the reverb-drenched guitar sample that rings in the background of International‘s tension-fraught production, the record is hip-hop through and through – especially Se’von’s lyrically-focused verses, which find him drawing attention to the “misery and suffering” that plague inner-city neighborhoods everywhere. Speaking out on injustices in the American legal system, single parents’ struggles to keep food on the table, and even the sexual misconduct of clergymen, the emcee paints a bleak but compelling portrait of poverty and hardship. This promising up-and-comer’s latest LP, tentatively titled My Life Your Movie, is set to drop sometime this summer, but in the meantime, fans can watch Se’von romance a “Masochistic Chick” on this ‘08 episode of BET series Hell Date. Yes, I’m serious.
Written by richard on 02/9/10
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.