Booth newcomer Se’von‘s MySpace bio may compare the Motown-born, Atlanta-based up-and-comer to Jon Bon Jovi and Journey, but heads shouldn’t let that scare them off; rest assured, potential single Pain features neither freaky Steve Perry falsetto nor Rebirth-esque hard-rock posturing. In fact, aside from the reverb-drenched guitar sample that rings in the background of International‘s tension-fraught production, the record is hip-hop through and through – especially Se’von’s lyrically-focused verses, which find him drawing attention to the “misery and suffering” that plague inner-city neighborhoods everywhere. Speaking out on injustices in the American legal system, single parents’ struggles to keep food on the table, and even the sexual misconduct of clergymen, the emcee paints a bleak but compelling portrait of poverty and hardship. This promising up-and-comer’s latest LP, tentatively titled My Life Your Movie, is set to drop sometime this summer, but in the meantime, fans can watch Se’von romance a “Masochistic Chick” on this ‘08 episode of BET series Hell Date. Yes, I’m serious.
Written by richard on 02/9/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.