Booth newcomer Se’von‘s MySpace bio may compare the Motown-born, Atlanta-based up-and-comer to Jon Bon Jovi and Journey, but heads shouldn’t let that scare them off; rest assured, potential single Pain features neither freaky Steve Perry falsetto nor Rebirth-esque hard-rock posturing. In fact, aside from the reverb-drenched guitar sample that rings in the background of International‘s tension-fraught production, the record is hip-hop through and through – especially Se’von’s lyrically-focused verses, which find him drawing attention to the “misery and suffering” that plague inner-city neighborhoods everywhere. Speaking out on injustices in the American legal system, single parents’ struggles to keep food on the table, and even the sexual misconduct of clergymen, the emcee paints a bleak but compelling portrait of poverty and hardship. This promising up-and-comer’s latest LP, tentatively titled My Life Your Movie, is set to drop sometime this summer, but in the meantime, fans can watch Se’von romance a “Masochistic Chick” on this ‘08 episode of BET series Hell Date. Yes, I’m serious.
Written by richard on 02/9/10
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)