Not gonna lie: there’s a part of me that’s morbidly curious what a hip-hop cover of Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven might sound like. Even though another, smarter part of me knows that would probably be awful. In any case, we won’t be finding out today; this Stairway, the latest entry in Serius Jones’ Serius Sundays series, borrows only a central image from the aforementioned cut, and is likely the better for it. Here, producer Needlz’ funky sample work sets the mood as the Jersey repper draws our attention to those at the very bottom of the societal barrel, who struggle their whole lives find way out of the hole they were born in. Though Jones acknowledges that only the extremely lucky and/or talented (himself included – at least, he’s hoping so) make it out of the streets and to achieve success in this life, he trusts that the disenfranchised will get their due in the hereafter: Singer-songwriter Daria Jones handles guest duties, attacking the hook in passionately soulful style. Listeners jonesing for more Serius Jones should keep it locked for further entries in the emcee’s weekly series, as well as release details on his forthcoming Serius Bizness 2 mixtape.
Written by richard on 04/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freak Like U ft. Bobby V" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.