For me, one of the biggest perks of writing about hip-hop on a day-to-day basis is that, in addition to hearing all the latest records, I get exposed to some of the greatest tunes of eras past through sampled beats. Case in point: I didn’t know ‘70s soul group Honey Cone even existed till I heard Needlz sample their hit single Stick Up on Serius Jones’ newly-released promo single, but I’m definitely going to be checking them out. In addition to the insanely catchy production, Help (I Been Robbed) boasts one clever lyrical concept; in two exuberant verses, Jones demolishes the tough-guy image cultivated by so many high-rolling rappers, shouting out all the artists whose much-touted street cred didn’t keep them from running to the police after a close encounter in the hood. For those who prefer their hip-hop with plenty of energy and a dash of biting humor, Help (I Been Robbed) is sure to cement the currently-unsigned emcee as an artist to watch.
Written by richard on 04/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freak Like U ft. Bobby V" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.