For me, one of the biggest perks of writing about hip-hop on a day-to-day basis is that, in addition to hearing all the latest records, I get exposed to some of the greatest tunes of eras past through sampled beats. Case in point: I didn’t know ‘70s soul group Honey Cone even existed till I heard Needlz sample their hit single Stick Up on Serius Jones’ newly-released promo single, but I’m definitely going to be checking them out. In addition to the insanely catchy production, Help (I Been Robbed) boasts one clever lyrical concept; in two exuberant verses, Jones demolishes the tough-guy image cultivated by so many high-rolling rappers, shouting out all the artists whose much-touted street cred didn’t keep them from running to the police after a close encounter in the hood. For those who prefer their hip-hop with plenty of energy and a dash of biting humor, Help (I Been Robbed) is sure to cement the currently-unsigned emcee as an artist to watch.
Written by richard on 04/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freak Like U ft. Bobby V" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.