On his Booth debut, featured way back in October of 2008, Sene spit, “These Days even breathing is tough.” A year later, however, the Puerto Rican emcee’s feeling considerably more optimistic. After all, how can he not be happy when he’s spending time with his WonLover? This album cut finds the up-and-comer flowing over a woozy, soul-sampled blend of piano and brass by beatsmith Blu (a.k.a. GODlee Barnes), paying tribute to the woman who came into his life when things were at their worst, sustained him through the hard times, and made life worth living – and, you guessed it: the girl in question is not a girl at all, but a personification of hip-hop. Blu’s wistful boardwork and the Brooklyn emcee’s poetic rhymes add up to one appealing underground jam, but does the execution shine brightly enough to freshen up this track’s arguably overused lyrical concept? That is for you, Booth readers, to decide. If you like what you’re hearing, pick up a copy of Sene’s ADayLate&ADollarShort LP, released this past Tuesday and available now in stores and online.
Listen to More: Sene
Written by richard on 10/14/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"These Days" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)