On his Booth debut, featured way back in October of 2008, Sene spit, “These Days even breathing is tough.” A year later, however, the Puerto Rican emcee’s feeling considerably more optimistic. After all, how can he not be happy when he’s spending time with his WonLover? This album cut finds the up-and-comer flowing over a woozy, soul-sampled blend of piano and brass by beatsmith Blu (a.k.a. GODlee Barnes), paying tribute to the woman who came into his life when things were at their worst, sustained him through the hard times, and made life worth living – and, you guessed it: the girl in question is not a girl at all, but a personification of hip-hop. Blu’s wistful boardwork and the Brooklyn emcee’s poetic rhymes add up to one appealing underground jam, but does the execution shine brightly enough to freshen up this track’s arguably overused lyrical concept? That is for you, Booth readers, to decide. If you like what you’re hearing, pick up a copy of Sene’s ADayLate&ADollarShort LP, released this past Tuesday and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 10/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"These Days" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.