On his Booth debut, featured way back in October of 2008, Sene spit, “These Days even breathing is tough.” A year later, however, the Puerto Rican emcee’s feeling considerably more optimistic. After all, how can he not be happy when he’s spending time with his WonLover? This album cut finds the up-and-comer flowing over a woozy, soul-sampled blend of piano and brass by beatsmith Blu (a.k.a. GODlee Barnes), paying tribute to the woman who came into his life when things were at their worst, sustained him through the hard times, and made life worth living – and, you guessed it: the girl in question is not a girl at all, but a personification of hip-hop. Blu’s wistful boardwork and the Brooklyn emcee’s poetic rhymes add up to one appealing underground jam, but does the execution shine brightly enough to freshen up this track’s arguably overused lyrical concept? That is for you, Booth readers, to decide. If you like what you’re hearing, pick up a copy of Sene’s ADayLate&ADollarShort LP, released this past Tuesday and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 10/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"These Days" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.