Do artistic integrity, intelligent lyricism and a commitment to one’s ethical principles preclude entry into rap’s upper echelons? Booth newcomer Semaj thinks not—if the Bay Area emcee/spoken-word poet’s latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) is to be believed, he’s rising so fast that it’s only a matter of time before we catch him busting a move on the industry’s metaphorical Roof Top. Vantage Music Group‘s Will Shine produces, layering swirling synth arpeggios, piano loops and theremin flourishes over a jazzy, old-school bassline as Semaj delineates his ambitious, but uncompromising attitude toward the grind. Positioning himself as a proud outsider in the game, he scoffs at the idea of brown-nosing his way to success (“I refuses to kiss anybody assh*le payin’ my dues.”) and rejects the stereotypical vices of the artistic life—some of ‘em, anyway. (“I don’t drink boy, I don’t smoke boy, but when I hop onstage, baby, oh boy / Girls throw the cookie at me like a doughboy.”) Is this iconoclastic mic-murderer headed to the top? If you’re leaning toward the affirmative, keep it locked. Semaj’s Never Satisfied LP has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/18/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)