Do artistic integrity, intelligent lyricism and a commitment to one’s ethical principles preclude entry into rap’s upper echelons? Booth newcomer Semaj thinks not—if the Bay Area emcee/spoken-word poet’s latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) is to be believed, he’s rising so fast that it’s only a matter of time before we catch him busting a move on the industry’s metaphorical Roof Top. Vantage Music Group‘s Will Shine produces, layering swirling synth arpeggios, piano loops and theremin flourishes over a jazzy, old-school bassline as Semaj delineates his ambitious, but uncompromising attitude toward the grind. Positioning himself as a proud outsider in the game, he scoffs at the idea of brown-nosing his way to success (“I refuses to kiss anybody assh*le payin’ my dues.”) and rejects the stereotypical vices of the artistic life—some of ‘em, anyway. (“I don’t drink boy, I don’t smoke boy, but when I hop onstage, baby, oh boy / Girls throw the cookie at me like a doughboy.”) Is this iconoclastic mic-murderer headed to the top? If you’re leaning toward the affirmative, keep it locked. Semaj’s Never Satisfied LP has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/18/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.