Two years after unarmed Oakland youth Oscar Grant was shot to death by Bay Area Rapid Transit Officer Johannes Mehserle (who was sentenced in November to a mere two years in state prison), the public furor over the murder is a distant memory, but its immediate consequences, as well as its bleak social implications, live on. Released on New Year’s Day to commemorate the anniversary of his untimely death, new single Peaceful finds Cali duo Self Scientific once again demanding Justice for Oscar Grant. Over DJ Khalil‘s ominous boardwork, Chace Infinite, Gary, Indiana fast-riser Freddie Gibbs and Strong Arm Steady representative Krondon administer a lyrical reality check, reminding listeners that, as long we still live “...in a land where just because of your skin crooked cops make n*ggas targets,” we cannot say that our society is a just one. While this timely and incisive single isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, Self Scientific fans can, as always, keep it locked for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 01/4/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.