Two years after unarmed Oakland youth Oscar Grant was shot to death by Bay Area Rapid Transit Officer Johannes Mehserle (who was sentenced in November to a mere two years in state prison), the public furor over the murder is a distant memory, but its immediate consequences, as well as its bleak social implications, live on. Released on New Year’s Day to commemorate the anniversary of his untimely death, new single Peaceful finds Cali duo Self Scientific once again demanding Justice for Oscar Grant. Over DJ Khalil‘s ominous boardwork, Chace Infinite, Gary, Indiana fast-riser Freddie Gibbs and Strong Arm Steady representative Krondon administer a lyrical reality check, reminding listeners that, as long we still live “...in a land where just because of your skin crooked cops make n*ggas targets,” we cannot say that our society is a just one. While this timely and incisive single isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, Self Scientific fans can, as always, keep it locked for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 01/4/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)