Two years after unarmed Oakland youth Oscar Grant was shot to death by Bay Area Rapid Transit Officer Johannes Mehserle (who was sentenced in November to a mere two years in state prison), the public furor over the murder is a distant memory, but its immediate consequences, as well as its bleak social implications, live on. Released on New Year’s Day to commemorate the anniversary of his untimely death, new single Peaceful finds Cali duo Self Scientific once again demanding Justice for Oscar Grant. Over DJ Khalil‘s ominous boardwork, Chace Infinite, Gary, Indiana fast-riser Freddie Gibbs and Strong Arm Steady representative Krondon administer a lyrical reality check, reminding listeners that, as long we still live “...in a land where just because of your skin crooked cops make n*ggas targets,” we cannot say that our society is a just one. While this timely and incisive single isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, Self Scientific fans can, as always, keep it locked for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 01/4/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.