A beekeeper’s ability to extract honey from a beehive is something I’ve always been fascinated with. I couldn’t help but think of this as I listened to Self Scientific’s newest track Deeper Roots, which gaining pleasure from is very much like extracting honey from a beehive - the reward is there, but you just have to have the skill to find it. Comprised of emcee Chace Infinite and producer DJ Khalil, Self Scientific seems to offer Roots as a test of how trained our ears are; the track isn’t immediately gripping, but breaking it down into smaller components reveals its value. To the untrained ear, the track’s robotic hook and melody-forming choral helium voices may feel more like the pain of a bee sting than the pleasure of a banger. However, listen more closely to find just how good Chace’s honey-like flow and Khalil’s intricate production are. Roots will be a part of Scientific’s buzzworthy EP Designer Music, due to be released soon.
Written by Matty K on 02/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Peaceful (Justice for Oscar)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.