If you’ll permit the cliché (and I don’t think you have any choice), you can’t judge a book by its cover; far from your typical guitar-strumming singer/songwriter, first-time featuree Selah Sue comes with a socially-conscious, Caribbean-informed style that places her comfortably in the lineage of Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu. On the newly-released U.S. version of international breakout single Raggamuffin, the Leefdal, Belgium repper’s reggae influences, as well as her connection to the streets, are readily apparent. Pairing spare acoustic-guitar riffs and ringing keys with a rolling, syncopated rhythm section, beatsmith Patrice creates an ambiance of quiet determination to match the singer’s bars, which depict a poor youth struggling to escape hardship and strain with only his wits as a weapon. Lending his guest rhymes to the front, J. Cole offers a perspective from the other side of success: “Promised when I made it I’d write my hooks for the poor / Now I’m hella faded and got my foot to the floor / While I’m pushin’ this Porsche…” Craving more? Then be sure to pick up a copy of Selah Sue’s self-titled Stateside debut on August 21, when it hits record stores and online retailers via Columbia Records.
Written by richard on 05/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.