If you’ll permit the cliché (and I don’t think you have any choice), you can’t judge a book by its cover; far from your typical guitar-strumming singer/songwriter, first-time featuree Selah Sue comes with a socially-conscious, Caribbean-informed style that places her comfortably in the lineage of Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu. On the newly-released U.S. version of international breakout single Raggamuffin, the Leefdal, Belgium repper’s reggae influences, as well as her connection to the streets, are readily apparent. Pairing spare acoustic-guitar riffs and ringing keys with a rolling, syncopated rhythm section, beatsmith Patrice creates an ambiance of quiet determination to match the singer’s bars, which depict a poor youth struggling to escape hardship and strain with only his wits as a weapon. Lending his guest rhymes to the front, J. Cole offers a perspective from the other side of success: “Promised when I made it I’d write my hooks for the poor / Now I’m hella faded and got my foot to the floor / While I’m pushin’ this Porsche…” Craving more? Then be sure to pick up a copy of Selah Sue’s self-titled Stateside debut on August 21, when it hits record stores and online retailers via Columbia Records.
Written by richard on 05/17/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.