When I was a kid I loved watching The Wonder Years. Or, more accurately, I loved watching Winnie Cooper (shout out to Danica McKellar, who grew up to be gorgeous by the way). Those early, wonderful days came in handy today when I first pressed play on DJBooth newcomers The Seed’s new single Wonder Years and immediately recognized the sample (plus the track title kind of gave it away). Producer and Seed member Adikt1 flips Joe Cocker’s cover of the Beatle’s Little Help From My Friends (a.k.a. the Wonder Years theme song) into a no-holds barred, west coast banger of a beat that emcees Kahlee and Uptown Swuite somehow manage to rise above with rhymes that are simultaneously relentlessly aggressive and lyrical: “…reverse acupuncture on grenades, pull the pin on stage, blast serenades.” In other words, it’s exactly the kind of cut that would make Kevin Arnold wet his pants. If you’re digging what The Seeds are planting be sure to check out their new mixtape BreakingGround when it drops (hopefully) next week.
Listen to More: The Seed
Written by Nathan S. on 05/12/10
Tre Dime Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep Rockin' On" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.