As soon as I saw Sean Paul’s name my immediate reaction was “am I crazy or has it been years since we’ve heard from Sean?”. Well, it turns out I was right (although also maybe crazy); the last solo feature from the rapper/crooner was way back on 2009’s Hold My Hand (Remix). I frankly have no idea what Paul’s been up to in the interim, but if new single Got 2 Luv U is any indication his signature sound has shifted away from the islands and towards the Euro/house/club sound currently dominating the charts. Sure, his kind-of-hard-to-understand lyrics and charismatic delivery are essentially unchanged, but unlike the more organic sound of his past hits he recruits mega-producers Stargate for an electronically-drenched, R&B influenced smoker topped off my soaring vocals from Alexis Jordan. Will Sean Paul’s new sound on Got 2 Luv U leave loyal fans cold, or be the kind re-introduction to the world that will earn his as yet-untitled new album a release date? We’ll find out soon in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It To You ft. Sean Paul" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.