As soon as I saw Sean Paul’s name my immediate reaction was “am I crazy or has it been years since we’ve heard from Sean?”. Well, it turns out I was right (although also maybe crazy); the last solo feature from the rapper/crooner was way back on 2009’s Hold My Hand (Remix). I frankly have no idea what Paul’s been up to in the interim, but if new single Got 2 Luv U is any indication his signature sound has shifted away from the islands and towards the Euro/house/club sound currently dominating the charts. Sure, his kind-of-hard-to-understand lyrics and charismatic delivery are essentially unchanged, but unlike the more organic sound of his past hits he recruits mega-producers Stargate for an electronically-drenched, R&B influenced smoker topped off my soaring vocals from Alexis Jordan. Will Sean Paul’s new sound on Got 2 Luv U leave loyal fans cold, or be the kind re-introduction to the world that will earn his as yet-untitled new album a release date? We’ll find out soon in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/29/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It To You ft. Sean Paul" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.