As soon as I saw Sean Paul’s name my immediate reaction was “am I crazy or has it been years since we’ve heard from Sean?”. Well, it turns out I was right (although also maybe crazy); the last solo feature from the rapper/crooner was way back on 2009’s Hold My Hand (Remix). I frankly have no idea what Paul’s been up to in the interim, but if new single Got 2 Luv U is any indication his signature sound has shifted away from the islands and towards the Euro/house/club sound currently dominating the charts. Sure, his kind-of-hard-to-understand lyrics and charismatic delivery are essentially unchanged, but unlike the more organic sound of his past hits he recruits mega-producers Stargate for an electronically-drenched, R&B influenced smoker topped off my soaring vocals from Alexis Jordan. Will Sean Paul’s new sound on Got 2 Luv U leave loyal fans cold, or be the kind re-introduction to the world that will earn his as yet-untitled new album a release date? We’ll find out soon in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It To You ft. Sean Paul" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.