To date, Sean Kingston has built his career on radio-ready love songs, and, despite the machine-gun sound effects scattered throughout the record, I’m At War is no exception to this rule. Over a tuneful beat by Beautiful Girls producer J.R. Rotem, the Jamaica-bred singer lets his lady know that, though their disagreements make him feel like a soldier on the front lines, he would still take a bullet for her. True to form, Weezy stretches the song’s central metaphor to its absolute breaking point on his Auto-Tuned verse, spitting lines like, “Salute to all the veterans/ Girl, your love is like a nuclear weapon,” while Kingston’s performance is as melodically lovelorn as we’ve come to expect. With Rotem and Wayne on his side, the singer has more than enough firepower to make I’m At War another chart-conquering hit. Kingston’s sophomore LP, Tomorrow, is set to explode onto store shelves in spring of this year.
Written by richard on 01/25/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Colors 2007 ft. The Game & Rick Ross" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.