To date, Sean Kingston has built his career on radio-ready love songs, and, despite the machine-gun sound effects scattered throughout the record, I’m At War is no exception to this rule. Over a tuneful beat by Beautiful Girls producer J.R. Rotem, the Jamaica-bred singer lets his lady know that, though their disagreements make him feel like a soldier on the front lines, he would still take a bullet for her. True to form, Weezy stretches the song’s central metaphor to its absolute breaking point on his Auto-Tuned verse, spitting lines like, “Salute to all the veterans/ Girl, your love is like a nuclear weapon,” while Kingston’s performance is as melodically lovelorn as we’ve come to expect. With Rotem and Wayne on his side, the singer has more than enough firepower to make I’m At War another chart-conquering hit. Kingston’s sophomore LP, Tomorrow, is set to explode onto store shelves in spring of this year.
Written by richard on 01/25/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Colors 2007 ft. The Game & Rick Ross" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.