To date, Sean Kingston has built his career on radio-ready love songs, and, despite the machine-gun sound effects scattered throughout the record, I’m At War is no exception to this rule. Over a tuneful beat by Beautiful Girls producer J.R. Rotem, the Jamaica-bred singer lets his lady know that, though their disagreements make him feel like a soldier on the front lines, he would still take a bullet for her. True to form, Weezy stretches the song’s central metaphor to its absolute breaking point on his Auto-Tuned verse, spitting lines like, “Salute to all the veterans/ Girl, your love is like a nuclear weapon,” while Kingston’s performance is as melodically lovelorn as we’ve come to expect. With Rotem and Wayne on his side, the singer has more than enough firepower to make I’m At War another chart-conquering hit. Kingston’s sophomore LP, Tomorrow, is set to explode onto store shelves in spring of this year.
Written by richard on 01/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Colors 2007 ft. The Game & Rick Ross" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.