It’s been said more than once around these parts that a major guest feature can be a double-edged sword; just take Sean Garrett’s new promo single Get It All. On one hand, we’re probably not talking about this track, and by extension Garrett, if it didn’t contain a guest verse from the hotly controversial Nicki Minaj. On the other hand, it’s never a good thing when an artist gets overshadowed on their own track, which is exactly what happens here. Garrett, whose songwriting skills are undeniable (see Mario’s Break Up), isn’t exactly displaying the full range of his production skills on Get It All - there’s a fine line between minimalistic and simplistic, and this feels like the former - and his vocal skills don’t exactly impress. Still, you have to admit that Sean Garrett’s on your radar, and considering he recently left Interscope to start his own label, that’s a mission accomplished for Mr. Garrett. Stay tuned for more from the man they call, simply, The Pen.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/26/10
Submit your Rating
Bet I Penned It
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grippin on My Bed ft. Ludacris" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.