After years of writing for prime-time artists (Usher, Ciara, Nicki Minaj), Sean Garrett is (still) looking to establish himself as a heavy-hitting performer. And with his latest single, Feel Love, he tackles this challenge in a softer tone. With simple, repetitive production, the focus is directed to the vocals, and at first the song doesn’t impress. However, after multiple spins Garrett’s lyrics and voice sound a bit better, and the song maintains a certain catchy feel. Now, I’m sure the majority of you clicked here for the J. Cole feature, so here it is: The song is about love and relationships, and this is not a knock on Cole, but this department may not be his strong suit. His verses aren’t weak, but they do raise some eyebrows as the NC emcee sounds a bit out of place. To make things even more complicated, Cole was a replacement as his arch-nemesis Drake was originally featured - Drizzy probably would have sounded more at home here. If you’re feeling this cut, be sure to look for Garrett’s upcoming debut on Roc Nation, Courtesy Of, which has yet to be given a release date.
Bet I Penned It
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grippin on My Bed ft. Ludacris" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.