Some artists require us to read between the lines and discover the deeper meaning of their tracks for ourselves. Booth newcomer Sean Armstrong, on the other hand, prefers to get straight to the point; a member of 9th Wonder‘s True School crew (as DJ Face), the Washington, D.C. native delivers his thesis statement in the opening bars of new mixtape leak Listen to the Message: “You can’t rely on nobody else but yourself.” Despite the ruggedly individualistic theme, this cut isn’t all work and no play; Dischoe‘s swung, soul-sampled boardwork is precisely tuned to get heads nodding, and Armstrong comes with allusive, wordplay-laced bars to match: “I’m Kinda Like a Big Deal like the Clipse be / I keep it real, and I Russell like I’m Nipsey.” Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to find plenty more hot beats and rhymes from Dischoe and Sean Armstrong on their Truth Be Told mixtape, set to drop on the 27th.
Listen to More: Sean Armstrong
Written by richard on 04/12/10
Strong-Arm Productions Inc.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.