When we featured Let’s Go back in early March, many reviewers agreed that Scratch‘s old-school beatboxing is something that new-school hip-hop needs more of. On this newly-released record, the Roots alumnus demonstrates that the sadly-neglected art can work just as well in an R&B context. Here, his oral percussion, along with a Latin-influenced keyboard accompaniment, set a retro mood as Musiq Soulchild asks a female he’s had his eye on, “What you doin’ Tonite?” Of course, the singer comes prepared with several rhyming suggestions for the night’s activities—they could “take a long trip,” “catch a flick,” “chill at the crib,” “roll in the whip,” or, you know, they could skip all of that and just, “do it (wicka-wicka!).” A throwback track that nonetheless feels utterly fresh, Tonite is set to appear on the May 26th release of Scratch’s Loss 4 Wordz.
Written by richard on 04/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Go ft. Peedi Crakk" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)