Booth newcomer SciFi Stu may enjoy fantastic tales of possible futures (at least, I assume so from his stage name), but his take on hip-hop is refreshingly retro. On new single and album title track Thru Life, the Scottish beatsmith showcases a style steeped in the mellow vibes of 1990s boom-bap. Artfully-chopped piano/guitar loops and a simple, yet effective bassline accompany contemplative guest bars from yU, Boog Brown and Hus Kingpin. Chinch 33 mans the wheels of steel on the record’s hook, flipping samples from Pete Rock‘s Take You There, Hi-Tek‘s The Sun God and other classic joints. Has this throwback banger piqued your interest? Then stay tuned; Stu’s Thru Life LP has yet to be assigned a solid drop date by the HiPNOTT Records brass, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest singles leading up to its eventual release.
Written by richard on 04/9/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.