In his official bio, Booth newcomer ScienZe explains that he adopted his stage name because, if “science is the study of all things,” then “[he is] the study of hip-hop.” That’s one lofty claim – does the Brooklynite truly personify the entire body of knowledge we call hip-hop? I can’t think of a way to test that assertion but, after taking a listen to new single Let Em Know, I’m not inclined to argue the point. Supported by Booth fave 6th Sense‘s appropriately gritty, piano-led production, ScienZe delineates his back-to-the-basics artistic philosophy. Though he’s disenchanted with the current state of the genre, he expresses confidence that ‘real hip-hop’ will triumph over mainstream wackness: “It’s the return of that old organic, snares hit your soul with the heat no fannin’ / The radio be sick and every day it’s automatic, featherweights float, this that old titanic.” Think this studious up-and-comer’s got what it takes to move the game forward? Then sharpen your #2 pencils and jot down “December 20,” the release date for his forthcoming Hall Pass LP. And yes, that will be on the test.
Written by richard on 12/12/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Main Attraction" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.