In his official bio, Booth newcomer ScienZe explains that he adopted his stage name because, if “science is the study of all things,” then “[he is] the study of hip-hop.” That’s one lofty claim – does the Brooklynite truly personify the entire body of knowledge we call hip-hop? I can’t think of a way to test that assertion but, after taking a listen to new single Let Em Know, I’m not inclined to argue the point. Supported by Booth fave 6th Sense‘s appropriately gritty, piano-led production, ScienZe delineates his back-to-the-basics artistic philosophy. Though he’s disenchanted with the current state of the genre, he expresses confidence that ‘real hip-hop’ will triumph over mainstream wackness: “It’s the return of that old organic, snares hit your soul with the heat no fannin’ / The radio be sick and every day it’s automatic, featherweights float, this that old titanic.” Think this studious up-and-comer’s got what it takes to move the game forward? Then sharpen your #2 pencils and jot down “December 20,” the release date for his forthcoming Hall Pass LP. And yes, that will be on the test.
Written by richard on 12/12/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Main Attraction" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)