In his official bio, Booth newcomer ScienZe explains that he adopted his stage name because, if “science is the study of all things,” then “[he is] the study of hip-hop.” That’s one lofty claim – does the Brooklynite truly personify the entire body of knowledge we call hip-hop? I can’t think of a way to test that assertion but, after taking a listen to new single Let Em Know, I’m not inclined to argue the point. Supported by Booth fave 6th Sense‘s appropriately gritty, piano-led production, ScienZe delineates his back-to-the-basics artistic philosophy. Though he’s disenchanted with the current state of the genre, he expresses confidence that ‘real hip-hop’ will triumph over mainstream wackness: “It’s the return of that old organic, snares hit your soul with the heat no fannin’ / The radio be sick and every day it’s automatic, featherweights float, this that old titanic.” Think this studious up-and-comer’s got what it takes to move the game forward? Then sharpen your #2 pencils and jot down “December 20,” the release date for his forthcoming Hall Pass LP. And yes, that will be on the test.
Written by richard on 12/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Main Attraction" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.