In his official bio, Booth newcomer ScienZe explains that he adopted his stage name because, if “science is the study of all things,” then “[he is] the study of hip-hop.” That’s one lofty claim – does the Brooklynite truly personify the entire body of knowledge we call hip-hop? I can’t think of a way to test that assertion but, after taking a listen to new single Let Em Know, I’m not inclined to argue the point. Supported by Booth fave 6th Sense‘s appropriately gritty, piano-led production, ScienZe delineates his back-to-the-basics artistic philosophy. Though he’s disenchanted with the current state of the genre, he expresses confidence that ‘real hip-hop’ will triumph over mainstream wackness: “It’s the return of that old organic, snares hit your soul with the heat no fannin’ / The radio be sick and every day it’s automatic, featherweights float, this that old titanic.” Think this studious up-and-comer’s got what it takes to move the game forward? Then sharpen your #2 pencils and jot down “December 20,” the release date for his forthcoming Hall Pass LP. And yes, that will be on the test.
Written by richard on 12/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Main Attraction" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.